[AusNOG] IPv4 Exhaustion, APNIC EC, and James is a nice bloke (can we stop the James is a nice bloke thing) ; -)

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Thu Jul 31 11:13:17 EST 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008, Steve Baxter wrote:
> > I do not understand the resistance to ipv6, or the "OMG we will all be
>
> It is not resistance to IPv6 - far from it. It is resistance to thinking
> that any good can come from making every device in the consumers home
> publically addressable by default. People who suggest it I think have
> never worked on a service provider helpdesk when worms/other nasties
> that own computers have been released into the wild. There needs to be a
> step in the quality of gateway devices available to end users before
> this is seen as a good idea.

Well, I'd like to think its more that people who build devices that are
placed online don't really have any accountability for them. Oh what a day
it would be if that were the case. I might even stop hacking on Squid. :)

> > Many enterprises (especially in the US) have large swaths of publicly
> > routable address space and mitigate risk with
> > policy based security.
>
> Which is precisely what every home will not have. Even the policy based
> security employed by large companies with dollars to spend still see
> issues - hacks still occur. Consumers will have a sub $100 thing that
> will never see a software upgrade in its life with software written to
> an internal quality policy that read 'if it compiles - it works'.

For every large enterprise with large swaths of public address space there
will be 10 large enterprises using multi-layer NAT and private IP addresses.

Adrian