[AusNOG] IPv4 Exhaustion, APNIC EC, and James is a nice bloke ; -)

David J. Hughes David at Hughes.com.au
Fri Jul 18 10:48:23 EST 2008

On 18/07/2008, at 10:32 AM, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:

> (I have a /56 IPv6 range as well - but haven't found a database
> bigenough to allocate to all my atoms yet - it's hard enough coming
> up witha name for a child, let alone 2^56 atoms or even Molecules!
> Daddy I'man atom not a number)

> I'm just hoping that the free-and-easy sparse allocation scheme to
> tryand reduce the "routing table" size doesn't get us to "no
> allocatable"space in IPv6 quicker than we might have hoped.

Yup.  Always wondered the same.  Personally I would have thought that
a /96 initial allocation for v6 would have been a reasonable starting
point.  Hell, it's worked wonders for the entire Internet for the past
few decades.

I hope we don't see v6 allocations going the way of rfc1918 space.
Every man and his dog has an incredibly inefficient use of 10/8 just
because it's so damn big it doesn't matter.  How will that attitude be
better when someone gets handed /56 ?

David