[AusNOG] any inside info on the current Optus / Other outage

Sean K. Finn Sean.Finn at ozservers.com.au
Tue Jul 15 09:35:40 EST 2008

I've seen something very very odd.

I can announce BGP to Optus in QLD where its affected, and my routes show up on the  Optus looking glass, however I'm getting ZERO inbound traffic from Optus even though routes to my AS through optus appeared in other looking glasses.

Any traffic that WOULD have come into Optus seems to have been blackholed or just gone missing from 7:50am.

Dropping the BGP announcement sees the MISSING IN ACTION traffic come down other links, so perhaps its a fibre cut just affecting data channels rather than control channels?

I.e. if i announce to optus, google breaks, even though all of my outbound is going through someone other than optus, the return path traffic gets lost.

Seems more complex than just 'the link, its down' type of problem.

Cheers,
Sean.