[AusNOG] Happy new year / New rules forage-restricted internetand mobile content after the 20th ofjanuary 2008

Curtis Bayne curtis at bayne.com.au
Sun Jan 13 13:36:38 EST 2008

EDIT: I apologize if this double posts - I think the first message may have been dropped for its size.

----

Hello Everyone,

Just to keep the discussion alive - I found this article floating around today.

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,23021828-15306,00.html

QUOTE: "IT is beyond belief that some representatives of the Australian internet service provider industry are reluctant to install filters that would prevent access to child pornography."

"In my experience and according to our research, Australians do care and want something to be done. In late 2006 Child Wise commissioned AC Nielsen to conduct a survey of 1497 Australian internet users over the age of 18. The key outcomes of the survey were that: 83 per cent believe that ISPs should block all child pornography, 76 per cent would change to an ISP that blocked child pornography and 64 per cent are not confident that home-based internet filters are effective. Surprisingly Child Wise has also received calls from child sex offenders who support mandatory ISP filtering stating that this blocking mechanism would have reduced their desire to abuse children."

...with no citations of statistical sources either. Handy.

Nothing ground-breaking, but certainly enough to make my blood boil (as it will for a few others I am sure)

- Curtis