[AusNOG] Happy new year / New rules for age-restricted internetand mobile content after the 20th of january 2008

Bevan Slattery Bevan.Slattery at staff.pipenetworks.com
Sat Jan 5 01:04:36 EST 2008

Matthew,

Your alternative view seems to be to dismiss the technical side as
"trivial" despite what you said above.

You keep saying I said it's "trivial"  I think you put those words in my
mouth.  Happy for you to actually quote what I say and in the context it
is in, rather than what you wish I said.

You are good at throwing stones sure, but sometimes without considering
who's glass houses you're hurting.  We're your customers - $1M or more
spent on this crap (because you dismiss it as trivial) means that many
less exchanges built and less backhaul we buy from you.

Sorry, I actually said "Cost is an issue".  Please re-read the post.  I
was *actually* suggesting how the government would spin it which is
obviously unfair.  And to put this in perspective, let's not forget this
is the same government that is seriously considering wiping out your
entire DSLAM investment (and some others to the tune of many tens of
millions of dollars each) and may not pay you (or them) a cent in
compensation.  With this in mind, do you think they're going to flinch
on pushing this through on the basis that it's going to be a little slow
or costly?  Not at all.  The only way you are going to stop it is if the
public realize that 'IT WONT WORK'.

Getting the minister to call you a "little shit" doesn't impress me.
Getting the minister to change his/her mind on an important topic would.

Sorry if I gave you the impression that that I was seeking to impress
you.  For avoidance of doubt, I'm not.  I was merely pointing out that
had you contributed more time being active in the industry in terms of
policy and *public* debate rather than spell-checking posts on whirlpool
and posting on industry only mailing lists, then you would probably be
able to make a more accurate assessment of my motives, and in case you
didn't get the message, 'impressing the Minister' isn't one of them.

As for the Mad Cow comment,  I sometimes wonder.  This industry is not
what it used to be.

I apologise to the listeners for leading this thread in to off-topic
territory.  Last post from me on this thread.

[b]