[AusNOG] Happy new year / New rules for age-restricted internetand mobile content after the 20th of january 2008

Campbell, Alex Alex.Campbell at dtdigital.com.au
Wed Jan 2 14:47:17 EST 2008

> We'd still need to invest as it wouldn't GUARANTEE that all the
> peering routes we see are clean

I was wondering about this.  Perhaps PIPE could provide a filtered
peering service?*

>From an economic point of view, it won't be feasible for any non-trivial
ISP to rely on upstream filtering.  Investing in filtering equipment is
expensive but surely not as expensive as paying 2x as much for transit,
line cards, etc.

I doubt the regulator will allow ISPs to charge extra for the filtered
service, and certainly not the 2-3x required to cover costs.

* obviously not a serious suggestion, and it wouldn't help those who
peer privately or overseas or at WAIX/AUSIX