[AusNOG] Telstra flicks switch on high speed broadband network

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Wed Feb 6 14:17:21 EST 2008

Stephen Baxter wrote:
> What if a carrier requested that ADSL gets added to the declared service
> list ? Surely there would need to be a formal process (inquiry or
> similar) into the request ? That was how it worked with respect to
> wholesale access to the HFC network (from memory).

Yes, I would expect that the ACCC would have to launch a formal inquiry,
discussion paper, and gather responses, IF they were of a mind to
consider the declaration.

However from Conroys press release:
http://www.minister.dbcde.gov.au/media/media_releases/2008/007:

"Telstra's decision to enable new exchanges with ADSL2+ broadband
services follows an assurance that it had an appropriate level of
regulatory certainty. This advice was provided to the Minister for
Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy by the Australian
Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC).

"The Chairman of the ACCC, Mr Graeme Samuel, advised me that the ACCC
has made a number of consistent public statements relating to the
regulation of wholesale access to ADSL services," Senator Conroy said.

"As a result of this advice, I concluded that there is a high degree of
regulatory certainty in relation to the ACCC's approach to wholesale
ADSL2+ services. I have written to Telstra
<http://www.minister.dbcde.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/80996/20080201102649278.pdf>
expressing my position, acknowledging that I agree with the ACCC's stance.

"I am delighted that I could provide this assurance to Telstra and that,
as a result, a large number of Australian homes and businesses will have
access to improved broadband services."

So the ACCC has 'assured' the Minister, and the Minister 'has assured'
Telstra, that such a decision to declare the ADSL service (including
ADSL2+) will not happen, as the ACCC's past public statements are that
they see no compelling reason to declare ADSL.

Regards,

--
Paul Brooks               |         Mob +61 414 366 605
Layer 10 Advisory         |         Ph  +61 2 9402 7355