[AusNOG] Telstra flicks switch on high speed broadband network

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Wed Feb 6 13:49:48 EST 2008

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008, Paul Brooks wrote:
> Posted on SMH half an hour ago:
>
> http://business.smh.com.au/telstra-flicks-switch-on-high-speed-broadband-network/20080206-1qia.html
>
> Telstra and the Federal Government have today overcome a 14-month
> impasse over its higher-speed broadband network after the company gained
> regulatory certainty, in an agreement which will provide up to 2.4
> million homes and businesses with faster broadband speeds.
>
> In a major breakthrough ahead of talks over plans for an $8 billion
> national fibre-optic network, the Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, and
> Telstra's chief executive, Sol Trujillo, announced the switch-on of the
> company's entire ADSL2+ fixed-line network in Canberra this morning.

I don't suppose someone knows someone at the SMH and could correct
a few mistakes, namely:

* ADSL1 can go to 8mbit/1mbit;
* standard ADSL connections haven't been 256kbit for a while, and
* dialup is up to 56 kilobits/sec, not 5 kilobits/sec (and hasn't been since,
  well, before I could recite multiplication tables.)

Adrian

--
- Xenion - http://www.xenion.com.au/ - Hosting - Commercial Squid Support -