[AusNOG] Cisco 3G WIC with Australian 3G providers?

Paul Brooks paul at vocus.com.au
Fri Dec 19 10:48:34 EST 2008

Skeeve Stevens wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I have a customer with a site emergency... some retarded fellow at
> Commander Centre put through an order which cut off a customers DSL
> service (converted it to OnRamp).  It is outside Sydney and I am not
> exactly sure what 3G coverage is there... I will investigate that
> later, but I am suspecting NextG or Optus only.
>
> But that said.  Does anyone have any experience using the new Cisco
> 881 with 3G or a 1841 with 3G WIC card... and.. what 3G providers have
> worked or miserably failed.
>
> I do know that NextG has massive inbound restrictions, so using it for
> a temporary mail gateway is not going to work.. too many application
> gateways or something... but in this case the customer would be doing
> an outbound IPSEC or PPTP (normal Tunnels need source/destination IP's).
>
> Anyone got any thoughts?  If I figure this out, I would probably keep
> the kit in our library for emergency situations like this.

Skeeve - along with all the other suggestions, we have used the Netcomm
3G wireless router to good effect as a 'office connection in a box'
while we waited for a wired connection to be installed.

http://www.netcomm.com.au/products/3g/n3g002w

This plus a standard 3G expresscard (or USB now as well) dongle that you
would normally use with a laptop worked well.

All the best....

    Paul.

--
Paul Brooks