[AusNOG] IINET ip range hijacked?

Philip Smith pfs at cisco.com
Mon Sep 17 21:00:46 EST 2007

Nick Hannaford said the following on 17/9/07 14:31:
> This appears to be a 2 stage stuff - up!
>
> 1) CNNIC obviously allow entries that are invalid! 203.130.32.0 -
> 203.208.39.255 is not a valid whois range

Surely inet-nums in CNNIC database can only be created by CNNIC? I can't
for the life of me figure out how this can be a simple typo... So either
they have no security on their database, or their hostmasters have no
idea what they are doing. Alarming.

> 2) APNIC not to filter whois data from NIRs (CNNIC in this case) expecting
> it has been correctly formatted and that the whois ranges the NIRs are
> supplying are delegated to the NIR. (both criteria fail)
>
> One would expect APNIC should be doing some form of rudimentary checking of
> the data.

I imagine this will happen going forwards...

philip