[AusNOG] Broadband Connect Chaos - ISP's Shutting down?

Skeeve Stevens skeeve at skeeve.org
Fri Mar 9 15:03:13 EST 2007

Hey all,

	While the news has been all rosy about the new $162.5 million for
the new Aust broadband Guarantee programme, it is not exactly as would seem.
The Australian article
http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,21349928%5E15306%5E%5Enbv%5E
,00.html has a bit more meat in it about the real situation.

	Something that wasn't mentioned was the reason for the funds
depleting early. I've heard rumours to the effect that Telstra are behind
the sudden depletion of the Broadband Connect fund with a $60million claim.

	I have also heard in various reports that two Broadband Connect
funded ISP's have either shutdown and/or fired all their staff, as well as
others ceasing installations and considering their options - especially
since the new funding may not be available till after May.

	If anyone knows which ISP's are shutting down/firing staff. can you
please let me know privately as there are some groups who are looking for
information to consider how they might respond to the government.

	I think that with this realisation, it wont be long (days - once the
dust clears) before the media starts to really understand that it may be
months before any customers in regional areas may be able to commence their
installs/rollouts.  This obviously has a massive trickle-down effect on
hardware supplies, cash flow, installers and ultimately end customers.

	Any thoughts?

Skeeve Stevens, RHCE     Email: skeeve at skeeve.org
Website: www.skeeve.org  - Telephone: (0414) 753 383
skype://skeeve
Address: P.O Box 1035, Epping, NSW, 1710, Australia

eIntellego - skeeve at eintellego.net - www.eintellego.net
I'm a groove licked love child king of the verse
Si vis pacem, para bellum