[AusNOG] Outage and Slowness

Skeeve Stevens skeeve at skeeve.org
Wed Jun 6 12:53:10 EST 2007

http://www.smh.com.au/news/wireless--broadband/telstra-restores-service-afte
r-broadband-meltdown/2007/06/06/1181089114356.html

Telstra restores service after broadband meltdown

Asher Moses
June 6, 2007 - 10:27AM

Thousands of Australians lost their internet connections for hours last
night, following a core broadband network outage that battered all major
internet service providers (ISPs).

The outage stemmed from a "server fault" in Telstra's network and affected
BigPond, Optus, Internode, Exetel, Westnet and other ISPs that resell
Telstra broadband services.

Some users lost their internet connections completely, while others reported
being unable to access international sites and extremely sluggish access to
local sites.

The outage comes as Telstra desperately tries to convince the Government and
the public that it is the only telco with the competence to build a new
high-speed broadband network.

Issues began around 8.30pm last night; a Telstra spokesman said they were
fixed by 10.30pm but some users reported intermittent problems until
midnight.

The Australian broadband news and community site Whirlpool reported "record
visitors" as people rushed to the discussion forum to find out what went
wrong.

Telstra BigPond's support lines were overloaded - callers were told by a
recorded message that their calls "could not be completed at this time".

Telstra's spokeman said he did not know how many users were affected but "it
affected users nationally".

"It was a relatively brief issue, and while we apologise to customers who
were inconvenienced, we threw a lot of resources into finding and fixing the
problem."