[AusNOG] Re: Satellite ISPs

Kai vk6ksj at westnet.com.au
Sun Jun 3 15:47:47 EST 2007

Last year I was working for an organisation with nodes in remote and
hard to access places like Balgo (no, not Balga in Perth, I'm talking
Balg0, about 200k's South East of Halls Creek), Kupungarri, Billiluna,
Imintji, etc

They already had existing two way satellite services which were
expensive and of course high latency but I was asked to investigate and,
if practical, implement ISDN on those area's. The idea was of course to
use the reduced latency of ISDN to make our applications work better
when used over VPN, whilst also leaving the sallite available as a
fallback if the ISDN failed and or setting priorities so any traffic not
destined for the VPN would go over the higher latency satellite and
leave more room on the ISDN for the VPN traffic.

Being in the Kimberley, wet season monsoons can quickly wipe out a
satellite service for a few days, sometimes a week or so, but once the
clouds have cleared (or the cyclones have passed) there's also the
chance of local exchanges flooding or poorly insulated cables arcing and
all that, and yes it's expensive to have two services feeding the same
sites, redundancy is essential when travel time to those sites is at
least a day by car and there's no regular air services.

BigPond ISDN was the only option availabe and the set-up/installation
fees were not cheap, the download quota's are also extremely minimal and
of course the usual Telstra requirement of having all phone/data
services with Telstra.

eg
http://my.bigpond.com/internetplans/dialisdn/isdn_plans/default.jsp
has the requirement to be on BigPond Home
http://www.telstra.com.au/isdn/pricing.htm

I don't have all my research data with me from that project but you're
welcome to contact me off list with any questions.