[AusNOG] Mail Filtering + ISPs

Simon Lyall simon at darkmere.gen.nz
Fri Feb 16 21:44:02 EST 2007

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007, Nick Brown wrote:
> We have several customers whereby we host their domain under a "Domain
> Forwarding" package. Simply put, we redirect *@customersdomain.com to their
> own personal mailbox, more often then not this mailbox is provided by their
> ISP.

I'd really advise you to get out of doing this service. In future you are
going to be hit again and again with the same problem. Some ISPs have
stopped any forwarding to remote sites because of their servers getting
blacklisted (especially by AOL).

The problem is that your server is sending spam to another ISP. Unless
that ISP explicitly decides to white list you you then start looking like
just another spam sending host.

I'd really recommend in the short term that you make sure all email that
leaves your servers is run through a fairly good spam filter. This will
reduce the likelihood of this happening.

You'll still be hit when the end user hits the "this is spam" button but
hopefully this won't be too often.

Consider running your own pop/imap server for your customers to use.

--
Simon J. Lyall  |  Very Busy  |  Web: http://www.darkmere.gen.nz/
"To stay awake all night adds a day to your life" - Stilgar | eMT.