[AusNOG] VPNs over Telstra wireless broadband

Tony Wicks tony at wicks.co.nz
Thu Mar 14 14:05:55 AEDT 2024

Can you force a sub 5 minute keepalive?

-----Original Message-----
From: AusNOG <ausnog-bounces at lists.ausnog.net> On Behalf Of James
Andrewartha
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2024 3:59 PM
To: ausnog at lists.ausnog.net
Subject: [AusNOG] VPNs over Telstra wireless broadband

Hi noggers,

We've recently rolled out a Fortigate IKEv2 IPSec VPN to our student devices
and it works well for most of them, but for some it works for a short time
(5 seconds to 5 minutes) and then gets stuck, leaving the student with no
internet access (since we force it to be always-on). Event viewer shows
rasclient 631 which is "The port was disconnected by the user" and
definitely not the case. The common thread seems to be they use Telstra
wireless broadband at home. Has anyone successfully run an IKEv2 VPN over
this sort of connection?

It's not CGNAT since it works fine on my ABB NBN connection. Maybe it's
IPv6 464XLAT?

Thanks,

--
# TRS-80              trs80(a)ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au #/ "Otherwise Bub here will
do \

[ "There's nobody getting rich writing          ]|  -- Collect and hide your

[  software that I know of" -- Bill Gates, 1980 ]\  nuts." -- Acid Reflux
AusNOG mailing list
AusNOG at lists.ausnog.net