[AusNOG] Telstra NB-IOT with NIDD

Jonathan Brewer jon at xn--t-0la.nz
Thu Mar 25 12:23:37 EST 2021

On Thu, Mar 25, 2021, at 8:56 AM, John Edwards wrote:
> History has not been kind to wireless protocols beyond basic IP.

Low Power Wide Area Network (LPWAN) protocols exist because the idea of adding an IP header (even a compressed header) to a two-byte data payload is absurd and wasteful of power and radio resources.

LPWAN protocols enable battery-powered devices to run in the field for ten years at a time. They enable base stations to support device densities of 100k / km^2 in IMT-Advanced, and 1m/km^2 in IMT-2020.

The devices connected by LPWAN protocols not only don't need end-to-end connectivity to the Internet, they don't want it.

I've built test 6LoWPAN networks. I've read IETF LPWAN working group docs and attended their sessions at two meetings. It's not appropriate for all devices, especially battery-powered environmental sensors.

IP everything is a pointless hill to die on - if you don't like the idea of NIDD on Telstra's nbIoT network, just leave it.

-JB