[AusNOG] Telstra NB-IOT with NIDD

John Edwards jaedwards at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 11:56:07 EST 2021

History has not been kind to wireless protocols beyond basic IP.

WiMax had IPv4, IPv6, PPPoE and ethernet frames as protocol types in the
specifications, but vendors only ever implemented IPv4 and put the rest as
"coming soon".

LTE had IPv6 as an additional licence charge from some vendors.

If you are a carrier, would you rather spend to build more sites to improve
coverage and adoption of the basic protocol, or burn budget for fewer sites
by supporting a niche protocol at additional cost? As these are just
software features that can be implemented on the same hardware, the
decision can be kicked down the road indefinitely.

John