[AusNOG] Azure <-> Fastly connectivity issues in SYD?

Paul Gear ausnog at libertysys.com.au
Mon Mar 22 11:45:43 EST 2021

Hi all,

Happy Monday!

If we have any Fastly folks on the list, I'd appreciate your input on
what appears to be a connectivity issue between Azure Australia East and
Fastly, or a rate limiting problem somewhere behind Fastly's frontend IPs.

I've written up the problem at
https://discuss.hashicorp.com/t/intermittent-connectivity-to-registry-terraform-io/22310,
but the short version is that the IPv4 addresses 151.101.29.183 and
151.101.30.49 are exhibiting intermittent SYN retransmissions in the TCP
handshake from hosts in Azure Australia East.

These issues are not seen in our connectivity to numerous other external
sites, nor are they seen from other locations (although it appears
Fastly uses GeoDNS so when I attempt name resolution from my NBN
connection I get BNE-based addresses rather than SYD-based ones).

Happy to discuss off-list by direct email, via the forum above, or
wherever else is easiest for those who have the power to troubleshoot.

Thanks in advance,
Paul