[AusNOG] Vodafone Caching issue

Daniel O'Connor darius at dons.net.au
Sun Mar 21 17:57:13 EST 2021

This is not caching per-se but a DNS black hole.

Vodafone is resolving bit.ly to:
[Havok 17:23] ~ >host bit.ly
bit.ly is an alias for walledgarden.siterequest.com.
walledgarden.siterequest.com has address 172.31.255.20
walledgarden.siterequest.com has IPv6 address 2405:6e00:f800:fefe:1:bad:bad:bad

Rather than:
[midget 17:22] ~ >host bit.ly
bit.ly has address 67.199.248.11
bit.ly has address 67.199.248.10
bit.ly mail is handled by 20 alt1.aspmx.l.google.com.
bit.ly mail is handled by 20 alt2.aspmx.l.google.com.
bit.ly mail is handled by 30 aspmx2.googlemail.com.
bit.ly mail is handled by 30 aspmx3.googlemail.com.
bit.ly mail is handled by 10 aspmx.l.google.com.

I tested the former via Vodafone mobile in SA.

Please fix it ASAP as it poses a non trivial risk to people who will have trouble viewing SES alerts.

> On 21 Mar 2021, at 16:14, Shane ONeill <shaneoneill at netdotdotnet.net> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> Anyone from Vodafone NOC on list.
>
> Seems to be an issue with a proxy intercepting bit.ly addresses which is causing issues accessing NSWSES alerts.
>
> <image0.jpeg><image1.jpeg>
>
> <image2.jpeg>
>
> Regards,

Daniel O'Connor