[AusNOG] Lightning and FTTC - is it really this bad?

Jrandombob jrandombob at darkglade.com
Sun Jan 24 18:59:03 EST 2021

Mea Culpa.

That makes perfect sense. I was considering it from an RF perspective
wherein the mass of earth would theoretically shield the buried
copper. I'd failed to consider that in the case of a ground strike the
buried copper presents a low-resistance path through the lumped
resistance of earth, so it will be the preferential path for the
current to take.

In which case the best I can offer is that perhaps the apparent higher
NTD mortality rate in high lightning areas with aerial lead-ins is
maybe due to them being more susceptible to higher-frequency
components which are induced RF-wise into the aerial cable?

Though without solid data it's hard to say if there's actually a real
correlation between the aerial lead-ins and failures. Since most
aerial cables end up being underground somewhere along the line it
could well be a remote ground strike that is to blame and it's just
the human propensity for pattern matching telling us there is a
correlation.