[AusNOG] Lightning and FTTC - is it really this bad?

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at mmc.com.au
Fri Jan 22 09:23:34 EST 2021

The DPUs being back-fed from the houses they provide service I’d suggest is the main reason - ADSL modems just had the ADSL signal to contend with, whereas back feeding power means you’ve got the DPU, with power across the 4 Cu lines into the houses and the power grid in four houses connected to the NTDs all being electrically connected for power (Potentially (Ha!) across 3 phases).

So a lightning strike that hits a power pole nearby is likely to fry a lot of stuff.

Reality is, FTTC is just a way of delaying spending money on fibre. To build FTTC NBN are building a GPON network already, just using Cu into the house. (It’s a very NPV friendly way of deploying, delaying capex is always a winner there).

MMC