[AusNOG] Lightning and FTTC - is it really this bad?

Paul Jones paul at pauljones.id.au
Thu Jan 21 12:29:47 EST 2021

I would think a direct hit would generally let the smoke out, and then some. Just the EM fields from a nearby strike is enough to damage poorly designed equipment connected to long wires. You should see how much extra protection is provided in something as simple as an alarm system used in tropical storm locations (like Taiwan). Things like spark gaps and spike adsorbers.
I'm guessing the designers of the CPE made the same assumption we all did - the copper is not as long so the problem won't be as bad (i.e. save money on protection that is normally used when connecting to phone lines).

Paul.