[AusNOG] Lightning and FTTC - is it really this bad?

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 22:25:06 EST 2021

Excite at Home (which became Optus at Home, which became Optus Cable Internet)
had a contractual obligation on the customer to leave the cable modem
plugged directly into the wall socket they installed, specifically
prohibiting the installation of a surge protector/arrester.

They then tried to charge customers for replacement cable modems when they
were fried by lightning.  Didn't work out that way for them. :)