[AusNOG] "Telstra" scammers

James Murphy jamesmurphyau at me.com
Sun Feb 21 22:19:35 EST 2021

There are a few improvements Australian telcos could really do with putting in.. STIR/SHAKEN <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STIR/SHAKEN> for caller ID spoofing is one.. ENUM is another that I think would be useful[1] (they did a trail about 15 years ago now[2] and, well, we don't use ENUM - so that tells you how that went)

I was surprised to see Telstra in the news for blocking spam/scam calls the other day.. They might be making improvements, yes - but we are still behind globally on this

Side note: is there anything like AusNOG but for telco? And/or any forums/sites/mailing lists where people from the Australia telco industry discuss telco topics? AusNOG and this guys blog are probably the only places I've seen/heard anyone discuss the telco industry (if you want to know how number porting works at all - short from reading the actual rules/laws - that blog has a some great details (link <https://nickvsnetworking.com/anatomy-of-local-number-portability-in-australia/> link <https://nickvsnetworking.com/more-porting-notes/>))

[1] I see ENUM as potential to assist/solve the fact that you have a single point of failure for inbound carriage.. If you have a TFN that can send calls between multiple telcos, then the TFN is the single point of failure..  Wouldn't be bad if porting becomes easier as a result of ENUM either..
[2] There are many dead links on the internet about this trail.. These [3 <https://lists.ripe.net/pipermail/enum-wg/2005-May/000326.html>][4 <http://www.rogerclarke.com/DV/ENUM0507.html>] are the ones that I could find that work/had anything mildly interesting, and pointed me in the direction of Vince Humphries from ACMA who was able to provide some more insight into the trail (which I haven't completely read yet, but thank you Vince if you're out there!)