[AusNOG] "Telstra" scammers

Tim Dooley tim.dooley at outlook.com
Thu Feb 18 21:50:55 EST 2021

While telecom companies such as Telstra are required to limit outbound calls from their SIP Trunks (ensuring you own the number you're trying to present), there are "IT" companies which offer SIP trunks without being a telco, this means they do not have to follow the same guidelines.

Just 2 days ago I became aware of a scammer presenting a school's main number on outbound calls, being part of the team supporting the schools phone system I can guarantee the system wasn't hacked at all.
There was no traffic from the school's phone system to Telstra during the time of the scam calls, however plenty of angry people were calling back yelling at the admin staff.

so basically yes, a VoIP seller (yet not an official telco) putting zero security on the calling number.

Cheers,
Tim