[AusNOG] Scam Calls originating from 02 8006 2433

Andrew Yager andrew at rwts.com.au
Sun Sep 27 12:57:55 EST 2020

My experience is while we all consider these things important, there is
little practical interest in addressing these things. It is entirely
possible that the routing carrier for the number does not transmit the call
in question, either because the endpoint in question is using a different
carrier for outbound, or the source CID is spoofed.

All you can do is notify your provider who routed the call, who then traces
it through - but more often than not, this dead ends.

I understand that the STIR/SHAKEN adoption in the US is designed to at
least partially address this, but I think until we can get a consensus on
how to deal with this both technically and administratively between
providers this will remain a problem. If I'm reading the RFC on this right
too, it requires someone to set themselves up as a trust entity, and for
everyone in the chain to participate; so unless we saw every carrier adopt
this (such as proposed to be mandated in the US) it just won't work.

Until this is "easy" to deal with, I suspect we'll have to keep dealing
with it.

Andrew