[AusNOG] Basic question about fibre visual fault locators

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Sat Sep 26 09:56:28 EST 2020

If you (or the staff member performing this) were ACMA registered cabler
and accredited for fibre, as required by law to touch any of this stuff,
you wouldnt be asking this question.

On 25/09/2020 18:26, Rhys Hanrahan wrote:

> Hi Everyone!
>
> I have a pretty basic question about VFLs. I haven't used one before but we need to trace some existing old MMF at a site and am about to buy a cheap VFL that has a universal connector for SC, ST, FC. We need LC as all the patch leads convert to this.  But all the LC female to SC male connectors I can see around are either SMF, significantly more expensive or internationally shipped. Need to get my hands on this for next week.
>
> I understand that in normal circumstances that mixing MMF and SMF spec equipment would be a no go, BUT WOULD IT BE SUFFICIENT TO USE A SMF ADAPTOR JUST FOR THE PURPOSES OF FAULT-FINDING/TRACING IN THIS CASE?
>
> I was looking at an adaptor like this one, coupled with a separate cheap VFL: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SC-Male-to-LC-Female-Single-Mode-Fiber-Optic-Hybrid-Optical-Adaptor-Converter/353200623750 [1]
>
> This "looks" like it is the same adaptor all the VFLs are bundling in with the tool anyway (but they are all being shipped internationally). Is there any reason not to settle for this? Thanks!
>
> Rhys Hanrahan
> Chief Information Officer
> Nexus One Pty Ltd
>
> E: support at nexusone.com.au
> P: +61 2 9191 0606
> W: http://www.nexusone.com.au/
> M: PO Box A356 Sydney South, NSW 1235
> A: Level 12 227 Elizabeth St, Sydney NSW 2000

Regards,
Noel Butler

This Email, including attachments, may contain legally privileged
information, therefore at all times remains confidential and subject to
copyright protected under international law. You may not disseminate
this message without the authors express written authority to do so. If
you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender then delete
all copies of this message including attachments immediately.
Confidentiality, copyright, and legal privilege are not waived or lost
by reason of the mistaken delivery of this message.

Links:
------
[1]
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SC-Male-to-LC-Female-Single-Mode-Fiber-Optic-Hybrid-Optical-Adaptor-Converter/353200623750