[AusNOG] Basic question about fibre visual fault locators

Greg greg at gregmc.net
Fri Sep 25 18:47:40 EST 2020

Hi Rhys

For short MM cable runs you will probably get away with it using that adaptor(~<100meters with a typical 1mW VFL on OM1(worst case scenario I can think of)). I'm assuming your just looking to ID the other end of fiber. ?
That said, mixing MM / SM adaptors is always risky business.
Usually I have a few patch leads(both OM3 & SM(OS1) on hand with the usual ST/LC fiber ferrule for the VFL and a mix of ST/LC/SC connectors on the other end for the various patch panels/fiber types I come across.
Nothing worse thou when you have a faulty fiber, and you can barely see the fiber VFL light, so having the right gear on hand is handy. Fortunately, basic fiber testing gear has come down a lot in price over the years.
Cheers
Greg