[AusNOG] Broadcast Storm - IX NextDC S1

Ryan van Klaveren ryan.vanklaveren at comvergence.com.au
Wed Sep 23 16:32:17 EST 2020

Hey all,

Did anyone else experience any irregularities yesterday (22 Sept)
between 10:39am - 11:50am ? (I know that sounds a bit vague) - but this is
what we experienced during this window:

* Our nameservers failing to do resolution
* Sydney transit routers had BGP flaps to IX NSW peers
* Sydney ASR router generated 143 logs of: PUNT_INJECT-5-DROP_PUNT_CAUSE:
punt cause policer drop packet casue 7 (ARP request or response)

Spoke to IX, who said:
"Yep we did, yesterday another IX had an outage (I believe a broadcast
storm occurred) around the timestamps in your logs, a number of our members
that had remote ends also connected to the other IX were affected by that
outage and that is likely the reason for their session to flap towards us"

Just trying to see if anyone else experienced it, and better yet have any
more details as to what may have caused it?

Kind regards,
Ryan van Klaveren

Main: 1300 550 125
Fax: 1300 550 121

       www.comvergence.com.au
Level 2, 38-40 Garden Street, South Yarra, VIC 3141

*Converging Tomorrow Today*
Confidentiality Note: This e-mail is sent to and intended for use by the
named addressees only. It contains confidential information. If you receive
this e-mail in error, please telephone Comvergence on 1300 550 125, and
then delete this message immediately. Further, you should not disclose,
print, re-transmit, copy, store, or reveal the contents of this message to
any third party.