[AusNOG] Vrrp

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Wed Sep 2 12:31:04 EST 2020

What I've found works nicely though is to use VRRPv3 instead, with the V3
protocol set to IPv6 - then it uses the link local addresses to communicate
on, and doesn't even want IP's on the parent interfaces.  I then shove my
/24's, /27's etc on the VRRP interfaces and they just work. :)

HTH

--DG

On Wed, 2 Sep 2020 at 12:23, Rhys Cuff (Speedweb Internet) <
Rhys at team.speedweb.com.au> wrote:

> Hi Guys
>

> Has anyone had much experience with using Vrrp on a Mikrotik?
>
> It seemed pretty easy to setup but the manual said the floating IP must be
> a /32 and to put an IP on the physical interface with a /24
>
> This seemed wrong so I just put a /24 on the Vrrp interface and a
> completely different subnet on the physical interface for the routers to
> communicate.
>

> Thinking I was clever all was well till about 1am two days after I did
> this, then it completely failed, switching back and forth from master to
> backup, basically having two masters on and off.
>

> Is having a /32 on the vrrp really necessary, if so why?
>
> Why would it have been all good for two days?
>

> So my config that lasted two days
>
> Vrrp 192.168.1.1/24 (floating IP I care about)
>
> Physical 10.0.1.1/24  (to communicate with master/backup routers)
>

> How the manual says to do it
>
> Vrrp 192.168.1.1/32
>
> Physical 192.168.1.2/24
>

> Doing it the second way will mean a lot more IP’s/config as I want to have
> around 20 floating IP’s
>

> Thanks again for any help.
>

> Rhys

Damien Gardner Jnr