[AusNOG] Fire System Activation @ GS Sydney

Matt Perkins matt at spectrum.com.au
Sun Nov 15 18:25:10 EST 2020

It's not the first time this has happened at GSU.  It's caused by the
very loud noise that is generated when the inergen gas is released. It
causes errors on spinning disks that quickly fill up their spare sector
table while trying to write during the discharge.  It usually only
effects servers beneath the nozels so that's likely why it only effected
tabcorp.

It happend in the  AAPT suite on level 4 a few years back when a belt on
an air handling unit failed and smoked up setting off the fire system.
I remember being there and looking into the face of many broken men on
that day.  RAID does not help when all your disks die at once.

I have equipment in level 2 4 and 6 at GSU and did not hear about the 7
November incident so perhaps it was just one private suite.

Matt

On 15/11/20 5:58 pm, Christopher Hawker wrote:
> I came across this article, relating to the Tabcorp outage on 7
> November - claims the fire suppression system in the hall at Global
> Switch was activated and damaged servers, which is why Tabcorp was
> offline for so long. GS also claims that Tabcorp was the only affected
> customer. Did anyone receive a fire alarm activation alert?
>
> What potentially would have triggered the activation and discharge?
>
> https://www.itnews.com.au/news/global-switch-says-no-fire-in-tabcorp-data-centre-incident-555661
> <https://www.itnews.com.au/news/global-switch-says-no-fire-in-tabcorp-data-centre-incident-555661>
>
> Thanks,
> CH

/* Matt Perkins
         Direct 02 8916 8101     Spectrum Networks Ptd. Ltd.
         Office 1300 133 299     matt at spectrum.com.au
         ABN 66 090 112 913      Level 6, 350 George Street Sydney 2000
*/