[AusNOG] Mobile Data Capacity - Where's the bottleneck?

Jonathan Brewer jon.brewer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 16:55:27 EST 2020

On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 at 11:26, Joseph Goldman <joe at apcs.com.au> wrote:

> From my understanding it can be a mixture of both. Metro areas shouldn't
> really have a problem on backhaul as busy towers would have 10, 40, or even
> 100gbit circuits to the base of the tower, that tends to be more a regional
> issue when backhauled by microwave.

10/40/100 Gbps to a cell tower is 5G equipment vendor dreams. Today overall
spectral efficiency at a busy tower is rarely better than 2 bits/Hz/cell,
so maybe you need 1 Gbps of backhaul if you've got 150 MHz x 3 cells going
on a single tower. That's a lot of spectrum given most bands in Australia
have been sold in 10 & 15 MHz pairs.
https://www.acma.gov.au/spectrum-auctions

Very happy to be corrected if anyone from an Australian mobile carrier
wants to speak up. Just tell us bits/Hertz & we can figure out the rest
from ACMA licenses.

Cheers

Jon