[AusNOG] "Simple Systems Have Less Downtime"

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 14:59:10 EST 2020

On Thu, 5 Mar 2020, 14:07 Bevan Slattery, <bevan at slattery.net.au> wrote:

> There was a whole PhD paper demonstrating why planes with two engines were
> safer than planes with four due to risk of catastrophic failure having four
> engines/and complexity that outweighed the additional redundancy it
> provided.

Having realised that "unnecessary complexity is the enemy", after working
on both simple and complex networks and systems, I've been "collecting"
simplicity idioms:

"Less is more." - Bauhaus Movement.

"Complex equals more things that can break." - Anonymous on Slashdot.

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when
there is nothing left to take away.” (in the context of aircraft design
coincidentally) - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Airman's Odyssey.

"As simple as possible but no simpler."

"In protocol design, perfection has been reached not when there is nothing
left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - RFC1925.

Somewhere along the line I came across a theory that the Roman Empire
collapsed because of its complexity, and that continuing adding complexity
will unavoidably result in catastrophic collapse.

Looking that up, I came across this paper that suggests persistent,
determined and voluntary simplicity is the way to gain resilience and avoid
complexity collapse.

"Resilience through Simplification: Revisiting Tainter’s Theory of Collapse"
http://simplicityinstitute.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/ResilienceThroughSimplificationSimplicityInstitute.pdf

Regards,
Mark.