[AusNOG] the state of bufferbloat awareness and remediation in australia?

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 14:18:43 EST 2020

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020, 13:38 Rob Thomas, <xrobau at gmail.com> wrote:

> Unsurprisingly to most, I'm the guy who played one of the VoIP packets
> (I'm in the blue Clearly IP shirt).
>
> After his talk at LCA, I was discussing the way to handle VoIP, and I
> mentioned that the way I do most VoIP client connections is via a
> tunnel. This allows me to put a proper queue on the tunnel ITSELF, and
> just hope that the actual outgoing link of the customer isn't
> congested.
>
> This seems to work reasonably well, and customers usually end up with
> good audio (as well as bypassing all the NAT nightmares).
>
> I'm hoping that Dave comes back next year to LCA (and for those that
> missed the announcement, it's in Canberra), and can do some more talks
> next year 8)

Networking talks will get a larger audience at a networking conference.

I doubt many on the AusNOG mailing list knew there would be a buffer bloat
related presentation at LCA, and even if so, network engineers are going to
have a harder time convincing management to pay for them to go to a week
long conference just for one or just a few relevant talks.