[AusNOG] Google Bi-Lat Peering

Joseph Goldman joe at apcs.com.au
Tue Feb 11 09:54:56 EST 2020

Hi List,

  Just after some info regarding Google bi-lat peering, how they
determine best path and downstream networks.

  I've submitted a ticket but thought people on list may have the info
on-hand in the mean-time.

  Will Google accept downstream networks also, or only networks that are
origin from the peering AS?

  If the downstream network is on a different IX participating in route
server peering that google is also on, will Google prefer the bi-lat
peering even if the AS path is longer?
  I'm assuming no - should/would prepending work in this situation (in a
perfect world, yes) or would Google be stripping duplicate AS's? (I've
heard of some networks doing this)

  We are trying to shift some traffic (google specifically) for a
downstream customer and just want to know what level of re-engineering
advertisements we are in for.

Thanks,
Joe