[AusNOG] Traffic volumes & COVID19 impact?

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Apr 3 19:18:52 EST 2020

On Fri, 3 Apr 2020, Bevan Slattery wrote:

> It’s all relative.  Streaming still makes up the vast amount of capacity usage, but yeah Video conferencing type data has
> increased significantly.  This will only grow over time once school goes back and the vast majority of students are logging in
> all together for the first time.  Hold on!

I work for a school and we rolled our own video conferencing solution
using BigBlueButton. Currently we're running a mix of servers in Azure and
on-prem, but will be bringing it fully on-prem once we buy some more Ryzen
whiteboxes. For 1650 students we're pushing 1Gbps at peak in the morning,
during the rest of the day it sits about 400Mbps. It's given me a new
appreciation for those who run this sort of solution at scale.

O365 is creaking under the load, 24 hour delays on provisioning are normal
at the moment.

Thanks,

James