[AusNOG] Hey Google, why are you in bed with Telstra?

Jamie Lovick jalovick at doof.org
Wed Sep 18 10:35:37 EST 2019

Hi,

Calling from Google smart devices has been in the US for a while (Google is
a carrier there, so it was easy for them to setup), but in Australia it
hasn't been available, until now. It's a pity that they've just gone with
Telstra.

I don't agree with CRN's take that it will just be a fad, as is a great
opportunity for families that need to support older people who may not be
as mobile or don't know how to use a mobile phone. Cheap Google Home Mini's
make a perfect speakerphone.

I wonder if they'll open this up to other providers, or will enable users
to configure their own VoIP settings?

Jamie

On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 at 09:45, Nathan Brookfield <
Nathan.Brookfield at simtronic.com.au> wrote:

> Google and Telstra have teamed to permit mobile voice calls to be made
> from the search giant’s smart speakers.
>

> https://www.crn.com.au/news/hey-google-why-are-you-in-bed-with-telstra-531103
>
> Sharing mainly because we got a mention in the article ‘haha’.
>
> Nathan Brookfield
> Chief Executive Officer
>
> Simtronic Technologies Pty Ltd
> http://www.simtronic.com.au

Jamie Lovick <-> IT Consultant <-> AU <-> +61-4-1479-1681
                                -> US <-> +1-8018-4-52643 (JAMIE)
                                -> FR <-> +33-9-7073-0340
Doof.org                        -> Em <-> jalovick at doof.org