[AusNOG] Telstra Wi-Fi calling on our network.

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Wed Oct 16 14:17:09 EST 2019

On 15/10/2019 5:09 pm, Paul Wilkins wrote:
> Well that is interesting Narelle, however, if it's anticompetitive to discriminately
> treat packet based VOIP traffic, then it is likewise anticompetetive to cross
> subsidise your circuit based business by shunting traffic over a competitors' packet
> based network. What's sauce for the goose etc.

a) Hot-Potato routing, a staple for Internet traffic-flows since forever, is all about
shunting traffic onto other people's networks as early as possible - this is basically
that - if there are two paths to get a packet to the handset - choose the best quality
path. Hot-Potato routing is hardly anti-competitive.

b) Its not your competitors traffic. Its your customers' traffic, requested by your
customers' devices attached to your customers' WiFi networks.

c) there was a time when it would be a cold day in hell before a telephone network
engineer would consider pushing a well-managed high-quality voice call over an
unmanaged, flaky, unknown, uncontrolled medium such as a best-efforts Internet
network, let alone a not-mine ISP network, let alone a (shudder) end-user WiFi
segment. That this is even a thing should be regarded as a testament to the
high-enough quality of Internet data networks no longer being considered a poor cousin
to an on-net end-to-end-managed carrier backbone network. Its not anti-competitive,
its pro-competitive admiration that your network is better than theirs in some
places.  Blocking it would indeed be anti-competitive.

Paul.