[AusNOG] Default IPv6 Local Only Addressing for Non-Internet Devices

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Wed Oct 16 13:06:33 EST 2019

On 15/10/2019 2:33 pm, Mark Smith wrote:
> I recently bought an IPv6 enabled Wifi printer. As it is attached to
> my single Wifi SSID it is configuring itself with IPv6 global
> addresses, even though I don't need it to be reachable from the
> Internet or able to reach the Internet. (It would be relatively hard
> to find from the Internet anyway with /64 prefix, and there is an IPv6
> firewall in front if it).
>
> I think it would be better for these types of "Non-Internet' devices
> not to configure themselves with global IPv6 addresses by default.

It probably checks back to home base for firmware updates, and downloads firmware
updates direct from the manufacturer - it will need a global address for that.

It probably has a function (that may or may not be enabled by default) to register
with an external rendezvous site to enable you to print to it from outside your home
network, or via an app or plugin from a mobile device - it will need a global address
for that (and many would want to block that from happening).

*you* may not want it to be Internet-reachable, but sure as eggs the printer
manufacturer considers external connectivity an essential and major ease-of-use
feature, so good luck with that!

Paul