[AusNOG] Microsoft cloud issues?

Chad Kelly chad at cpkws.com.au
Fri Nov 22 18:27:43 EST 2019

On 11/21/2019 10:10 PM, ausnog-request at lists.ausnog.net wrote:

>  From what Microsoft have said, it appears like some internal networking is to blame.  I would imagine O365 installations would still be architected into pods to limit blast radius. Intermittent and inconsistent service for such a large, distributed application isn?t uncommon to see when things go wrong.
>
> I also echo Brad?s comments - people are somewhat used to email going down, it used to happen occasionally with on-prem infrastructure and O340 is clearly no different.
>
> A multi-cloud strategy for O365... I?d love to see that Architecture;)

Yeah you could do it easily.

Both Azure and AWS support VMware, just spin up a couple of VMs throw
Windows Server and Exchange on them connect up Azure Express route if
they are in your own DC and throw a couple of load balancers in front of
them and away you go.

It would be more Hybrid then Multi cloud, but you can certainly use AWS
and run exchange on that and connect it through Azure Express route.

You can use your own facilities as well for this.

Also Skype for Business will still be available for on Premises use so
if Teams continues to have issues you can continue to use SFB.

Certainly this setup wouldn't be affordable for smaller businesses, but
O365 isn't down for that long normally, generally if you have multiple
connections to the internet its a non issue.

But even Telstra has had multiple downtime issues over the last year or so.

Regards Chad.

--
Chad Kelly
Manager