[AusNOG] Assistance and Access Bill moves to PJCIS

Peter Fern ausnog at 0xc0dedbad.com
Thu Mar 28 17:29:48 EST 2019

On 28/3/19 12:33 pm, Paul Wilkins wrote:
> The silence on the Assistance and Access Act since it passed in
> December has been deafening. It was firmly understood, on
> representations by the Liberal Government, that the bill passed was
> passed as an expedient, yet now we have the third report from PJCIS
> due 3rd April, and yet another round of submissions from corporations
> large and small, industry luminaries and human rights and legal
> experts, all saying that basically we're where we were back in
> September 2018, when Dutton rather disingenuously reported to the
> House that:
>
> "The government has consulted extensively with industry and the public
> on these measures and has made amendments to reflect the feedback in
> the legislation now before the parliament."
>
> Yet no matter how many submissions are made to how many parliamentary
> committees, we now seem stuck with a deeply flawed Act, the Liberals
> are walking backwards on the Labor amendements, while the country's
> police forces now operate with sweeping interception powers well
> beyond what's necessary and proportional.

Because, of course we are - anyone who thought we'd be anywhere else
today was living in a fantasy land.  And you can thank Labor for this,
on account of being completely spineless weasels, almost as much as the
Libs for ramrodding this disgusting mess through in the first place.
Tech policy in this country is an absolute joke.