[AusNOG] Edgerouter Dual WAN + IPSEC

Jacob Gardiner jacob at jacobgardiner.com
Tue Jul 30 13:51:34 EST 2019

Hey all,

I'm troubleshooting an issue where we have an Edgerouter deployed with dual
wan (failover only, not load balancing) with an IPSEC VPN to Google cloud
platform.

In particular, the DNS queries originating from the GCP side reach the
server internally ok, but the responses seem to be load-balancing back out
the pppoe0/1 interfaces, and only received sometimes on the remote side
(when the response goes out pppoe0)

If anybody's got some experience with this kind of deployment before and
has a bit of spare brain capacity, feel free to email me direct to avoid
spamming the list.

I've tried various LB configs, routing table configs, DNAT configs, also
have turned off the 'smart' auto-nat/firewall features.

Cheers

--
Jacob Gardiner