[AusNOG] NBN and /24

Mark Delany g2x at juliet.emu.st
Thu Jul 18 13:06:43 EST 2019

> I have no idea whether it's hard or annoying to get them to fix it when
> it breaks

It took them over 7 days to re-add a /24 they dropped off an FTTP
service. They also had no particular sense of urgency over it either
which was more disconcerting than the actual drop.

Having said that, some of their competitors are no better. In fact TLS
took many weeks to *fix* a /24 on an HFC service and ABB took over a
week to re-add a /24 on an FTTP service they dropped after a router
upgrade.

You also have to keep a close eye on their routing policies as they
sometimes forget to add your routes into, e.g., new peering points or
PNIs to content providers. Trying to get that sort of error pushed
past a first-level support tech is a real hoot.

I'd be interested to hear of counter-examples as it's not clear that
any NBN providers are offering what I would consider competent routing
services in terms of MTTR. You know, like under the expiry time of the
average mail queue.

It's almost as if they think it's some sort of optional extra that has
no real effect on your service whether it's working or not. Very
bizarre.

Mark.