[AusNOG] Tracing a stolen mobile phone

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 16:20:48 EST 2019

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 at 15:53, John Edwards <jaedwards at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.amta.org.au/pages/Lost.and.stolen.phones
>
> *7.    **No tracking of lost or stolen mobiles:*
>
> Your carrier does not track lost and stolen mobiles and they cannot be
> pinpointed.

Well, we all know that's an indirect lie.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-16/metadata-retention-privacy-phone-will-ockenden/6694152

And I guarantee they can pinpoint it tighter than that too, using proper
triangulation, as referenced here:

https://searchengineland.com/cell-phone-triangulation-accuracy-is-all-over-the-map-14790

> I have spotted devices with the logos of Australian carriers in the
> windows of phone shops around South East Asia, which might give you some
> clues as to how effective IEMI blocking is.

AMTA specifically mentions that it's only valid within Australia - IMEI
blocking requires cooperation between carriers, and I'm honestly a little
surprised that Telstra/Optus/Voda/others manage to cooperate to do it given
how often they screw up other cooperation events (like number porting).