[AusNOG] NBN as an end to end solution - Failure or Success?

Chris Hurley chris at minopher.net.au
Fri Jan 25 23:45:13 EST 2019

NBN ws a classic case of a race horse designed by a committee (you get a 3
legged camel) and noses in the trough. It¹s now here and a growing a number
of customers are resisting moving across but under the rules once in an area
you have X months to migrate ­ end of story so a new monopoly. To eventually
be sold off for a profit??????

Personally the original plan of fibre to the house was the correct solution,
and some people 100¹s of Km from main route mmm sadly might have to accept
an alternative solution or pay $$$$$, but touchy feely people didn¹t like
that reality. The NBN got too political to achieve what the initial design
wanted sadly. New Zealand went with fibre to the node stage 1 then stage 2
fibre to the house.

Another minor fact that slipped through was Telstra offered free of charge
to connect every politicians office (and maybe home to fibre ­ source vary)
so of course our leaders think internet is great. I was at a Malcom Turnball
town hall meeting when he promised the world with the NBN and his minders
tried to shut down my questions "Why are politicians getting Œfree¹ fibre
and the people in this area can¹t even get sub ADSL speeds".

Regards,

Chris Hurley BE (Elec)
Signal Manager

Dragon Rail Pty Ltd     Phone: 1300 730 531
5 The Close
Scoresby,  3179 Victoria
Australia