[AusNOG] "However, for the best possible experience, we recommend enabling IPv6 on your network."

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Thu Feb 28 13:16:21 EST 2019

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 9:02 PM Sam Burney <sburney at sifnt.net.au> wrote:

> I expect Robert is referring to T-mobile USA who do indeed only hand out
> IPv6 connectivity to customer devices.
>
> They provide IPv4 access to customers 'as-a-service' however, via DNS64
> and 464XLAT, so connectivity to legacy IPv4-only networks is not lost.

What T-mobile provides depends on the device and the APN.  For example, my
T-mobile tablet gets given both an IPv6 address and an IP address in the
192.0.0.0/24 range.  On other devices they will give IPv6 only (eg, many
phones), or potentially IPv6+public IPv4 (they used to do this on Mifi's,
but I'm not sure if it's still an option).

  Scott