[AusNOG] Cisco 10Gb switches

Beeson, Ayden abeeson at csu.edu.au
Tue Feb 19 13:50:32 EST 2019

MGig will go all the way up to 10gbps if the device at both ends supports it, I’m using it right now for that purpose. Some devices don’t support it however, our 3802 APs will only go up to 5gbps, whereas the 3560 and 3850 mgig models will do 10 between each other.

It is surprising how far it’ll go on older cabling while still maintaining pretty good speeds, but we also prefer to go for fixed 10gbps services like twinax or SFP+ optics where possible, it is just easier to guarantee a certain level of quality.

I’d imagine Cameron has a specific end user device/devices he needs to get going over copper away from the switching gear, hence the specific request…

Cheers,
Ayden