[AusNOG] Cisco 10Gb switches

simon thomason sapage at sapage.net
Tue Feb 19 09:59:12 EST 2019

Unless things have changed running 10G over copper comes with a lot of
caveats.

   - Higher power requirements, therefore additional cooling.
   - Overheating.
   - Cross talk on pairs.
   - Additional latency on those links up to 10X <<< would this fit
   your needs?

What cabling runs are you looking at and do you expect to use the full 10G?

As a few people have pointed out you can use mgig up to 5G a second over
catbalh.

if you are looking at 10M or less I would be looking at twinax cables.

Just a few thoughts.