[AusNOG] Telstra Business - known issues??

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Sat Apr 27 12:17:46 EST 2019

On Sat, 27 Apr 2019, Jacob Taylor wrote:

> It's a pretty common thing these days to see ISPs blocking TCP 25
> inbound, even on connections that purport to be 'business' grade. I
> assume this is because every man and his dog uses GSuite or O365 today.

Yes, but I'd have thought (perhaps foolishly) there would be notice before
they did that.

> How did you verify no SYNs hitting the server? tcpdump?

Yes, managed to gain internal access to their network today through a
raspberry pi that created a reverse tunnel back out to one of my boxes.
>From there I could access the router and redirected the port 25 port
forward to the pi and used tcpdump.

Hoping it was just port 25 blocked, I tried various other ports, both well
known and "random" services both priviliged and non-priv ports (ie, below
1024 and above), and confirmed that none of them were being received.

Yes, it's entirely possible it's the (telstra supplied) router.
But it's equally possible it's within telstras network.

Whatever is its, it's causing significant operational problems for the
client. Mail is only the tip of the iceberg, various other services
(including VPN) also stopped working at the same time.

R.