[AusNOG] More legislative interventions

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 11:55:16 EST 2019

In addition to previous comments, the kind of material that may become
subject to a take down notice, is of such a disturbing character that this
content should already be subject to the fiduciary duties of service
providers, ensuring warnings to those who would find the content
disturbing, and ensure minors can't access it. Now if service providers
aren't doing that, they're either negligent, are preferencing profit over
their civic duty, or in a few cases, directly profiting from hosting
content of a violent nature.

There should be little cost to service providers in implementing take down
notices. Video can now easily be fingerprinted, and repeat postings
autoflagged for moderator take down.

The Assistance and Access Act was a big deal because it represents a
credible threat to the democratic rights to freedom of speech and privacy.
The Sharing of Abhorrent Violent Material Act on the other hand, is at
worst a distraction, but rather looks like the government doing what
they're supposed to do. I can't see Voltaire going to the barricades to
protect people's rights to propagate murder videos.

Kind regards

Paul Wilkins